Quality of life is an intangible term known for being the standard of health, comfort, and happiness experienced by an individual but it is very subjective as there is no way to measure what is a truly good quality of life. For some, it means that you worked a hard life and became successful, for others it may be that you have lived years without pain or medication not, for others it’s about the relationships you have had going through your years. Quality of life is not just about being healthy, hardworking, or happy, but about all of the things rolled up that are in your life, from the way you sleep to how you feel about yourself at any moment of your life, to the happiness every part of your life brings. The older we become the more we start to look back at what could have been avoided or improved to make us feel close to what we used to in our prime or better. Having the best quality of life is what we should strive for as we get older, but sometimes we overlook it, we need to change this as early as we can in our lives. To make the necessary changes, here are 10 ways to improve your quality of life.
1. Learn your family history
One of the most important things you can do for yourself is to be aware and informed about your family history. Our quality of life can have obstacles from the beginning if we are not aware of the family history. Getting an insight will help in learning ways to take care of yourself properly as you age.
- Yearly doctor visits.
- Once you learn your family history; keep your doctor checkups up to date, making sure your genetics are passed down to the best of their ability.
- Technology to help live a fulfilling life.
- There is new technology out there coming out every day. Always talk to your doctors about preventative care, personalized treatments, and ways you can still live your life without having to sacrifice something you love doing.
2. Take care of your personal hygiene
Taking care of yourself from the outside brings joy as you do not have to deal with stomach pains or toothaches.
- At-home hygiene
- Taking care of ourselves at home is crucial, for example, our teeth, a dentist can only do so much. Now thanks to technology you can always look for the supplies you see at your dentist’s office or find the ones your dentists recommend. There are unlimited resources for buying dental products online to help you find the necessary tools to upkeep your oral hygiene.
3. Eat what is best for your body
What goes into your body does so much more than keeping you from gaining weight, eating correctly and opting for healthier choices helps your body all around. While it’s best to get as much nutrition from whole foods as you can, there are supplements that can fill in the gaps. Whether it’s vitamins, gummy vitamins, powdered nutrients, or utilizing the healthy benefits of salt, it is important to consider what vitamins and minerals you’re getting from the foods you eat and where you need to fill in the gaps. Getting all your nutritional support has proven health benefits too:
- Reduces inflammation
- Helps your digestive system
- May help you live longer.
- Keeps skin, teeth, and eyes healthy.
- Supports muscles.
- Boosts immunity.
- Strengthens bones.
- Lowers risk of heart disease, type 2 diabetes, and some cancers.
4. Prioritize your self-care
Self-care is crucial for having a fulfilling life, a good self-care routine promotes not only a healthy relationship with yourself but it also benefits your physical, mental, and emotional health.
- Taking a bath after a long day helps release stress and soothe your body.
- Journaling your thoughts to help ease your stress and anxiety.
- Reading books that make you feel happy.
6. Surround yourself with the right relationships
We only have one life, let the ones you share your life bring you happiness and help you sustain good mental health. Having good supportive relationships help with reducing depression and helping with your happiness. There are so many relationships we as individuals have to nurture.
- Work relationships
- Family relationship
- You and your partner’s relationships.
7. Work-Life Balance
The balance between your 9 to 5 and yourself is something that needs to have boundaries. Do not let your work be everything you revolve around, you want to look back at your life and know you enjoyed every second of it.
- Set boundaries with co-workers and employers so you are not overworked.
- Schedule your work around your relationships
- Enjoy your days off and vacation days.
8. Be active
Being physically active promotes a lot of good to your life physically and mentally. Starting a yoga class or a group fitness class or joining a league gives you another outlet to make a new relationship with people that enjoy that same activity and so much more. Getting outside for 20 minutes a day can really brighten your day, especially if you do it with your family.
- Helps reduce risks of health conditions.
- Helps lower stress, going for a run or a gym workout after a stressful day always feels so good.
- Gives you an outlet and a sense of being controlled and independent.
9. Fulfill your dreams
With age comes the outcome of our youth, you don’t want to look back and say, “I wish I had don’t that when I was younger,” try to keep yourself happy by making a list of things you know you know you want to look back and have seen or achieved one day. Many people always say “I’ll do it someday” when they have the money, time, or whatever excuse it is. People may wait their whole lives to pursue their passions, travel the world, or make a big life change and never get the chance until it’s too late. Instead of waiting for the “perfect moment” to pursue your dreams, just go for it because the “right time” may never come.
10. Take time to laugh
They say that laughter is the best medicine. Take time to watch a funny TV show, film, or read a funny book. You can also send funny memes back and forth with your friends, like the “best I can do is” meme“. Or even plan a fun night with some friends and see some stand up comedy at a local comedy club.
Qualify of life is defined differently and not the same for any one person, take these 8 ways to help you improve your quality of life starting now to help you decide what quality of life means to you.