Have you just finished all the remodeling in your home or rental property and just want to make it into an extra source of income but don’t know where to start? You have read countless articles on how this can be beneficial for you but have no clear idea of where to start when it comes to having someone actually look at it, rent it, and move in.
Here are five tips on how to list your property and start having prospects in no time.
Decide where you want to list it
This is the first and most important tip before you start, you need to look at where you want to list it so that you know what you will need to post it. Do your research on what are the best websites to list it on, there are so many resources out there, that you can list for free nowadays as well.
Once your research is completed, you can choose all the possible platforms you can to make sure you are putting your listing out there as much as possible.
A good book cover
You know that saying, “don’t judge a book by its cover,” well when it comes to having someone come look at your property, this saying does not apply. Think about your property being on a dating site and making sure people are interested in getting to know it more. You want to make sure that the cover people see is enough to get them through the door.
- Get some excellent photos of the property. You need to make sure that you have good lighting and angles.
- Emphasize any new remodels or touches.
- Capture what you know would be the selling point or your favorite part.
- If you remodeled the property, make sure you take photos of them so you can compare them to those before.
- If the property already has furniture in it, stage it nicely.
- Don’t forget the landscaping! If the property has a lovely garden or yard be sure to include pictures.
This is a very important step for your listing description as well, having the picture in front of you when you are about to post your listing will help you in making sure you can describe the images in the best way possible.
Details are everything
You now have where you want to list it and the pictures, the next part is the description and details for your listing. You need to make sure you can capture the viewer with your words from the title to the full description.
- Have a good catchy title.
- Detail the property the best way you can. If your property is small instead of using the word small change it to cozy, focusing on your verbiage to get them to want to check the property is your goal.
- Highlight the best parts of your property as well as the surrounding areas.
- Tell your tenants the nitty gritty details as well:
- move-in date
- security deposit information
- pet-friendly or not
- What features are not included and what is.
- screening requirements and screening process
You want to give the person who is viewing your listing as much information as you possibly can, that way they know enough about it and helps you in making sure the people who reach out to you know what is expected of them.
Set Your Price
This property is your baby and you are about to make money off of it, only you know its true worth of it. In your listing, you want to make sure the price you are setting meets the following categories so you are making money off of it.
- What did it cost you? This includes any fixtures and remodels.
- What is the current rental market like at the moment?
- What surrounds your neighborhood?
- What time of the season is it? (Is it competitive at the moment or not, summer is usually when listings are higher)
Being able to answer these questions with numbers will help you in determining the price you cannot go under, this also helps you at looking at surrounding listings to see what they are asking for to give you a realistic idea of what you can put.
Launch & Share
Now you know where you want to list it, you have everything your listing needs, so you make that list an active one. Once your listing is up and running you want to do everything you can to make sure you reach as many people as you can everywhere. This is where you use your social media and your relationships.
- Social media is your friend. Post on your stories and give an insight into your listing as well. Make Tik Tok and Instagram posts of before and afters if it is applicable.
- Share to your friends and family on Facebook, making sure you add your contact information.
- Tell your work friends about the listing.
- Tell your friends to share with their friends and family.
Sharing your listing on social media is a great way to generate interest and leads beside the platform you listed it on.
You have your listing now listed, so now is the waiting game, this guide is a great way to get started on your listing and how to go about it the right way, now that your listing is up stick by your phone and be ready for those phone calls to do property tours or more!