Nagoya, the fourth-largest city in Japan, is home to several international schools. These schools offer a diverse curriculum that meets the needs of expatriate families who have relocated to the city for work or personal reasons. In this blog post, we will explore some of the best international schools in Nagoya and what they offer.
Different International schools in Nagoya with different cultures of education
Nagoya International School (NIS)
Nagoya International School (NIS) is one of the oldest international schools in Japan, established in 1962. NIS offers an English-based curriculum that follows the International Baccalaureate (IB) program from kindergarten through high school. The school boasts a diverse student population and offers various extracurricular activities such as sports, music, and drama.
Canadian International School of Nagoya (CISN)
The Canadian International School of Nagoya (CISN) offers a bilingual program in English and French. The school follows the Ontario Curriculum and offers the International Baccalaureate (IB) program in the high school years. CISN offers a warm and inclusive environment and has a small student-to-teacher ratio, which allows for personalized learning.
Nagoya International Junior and Senior High School (NIJSH)
Nagoya International Junior and Senior High School (NIJSH) is a co-educational school that offers a rigorous academic program. The school follows the American Curriculum and offers Advanced Placement (AP) courses in the high school years. NIJSH is known for its strong athletics program and offers various sports teams such as basketball, soccer, and volleyball.
St. George’s International School
St. George’s International School is a Christian school that offers a British-based curriculum. The school follows the Cambridge International Curriculum and offers the International General Certificate of Secondary Education (IGCSE) and the International Baccalaureate (IB) program in the high school years. St. George’s International School offers a nurturing and supportive environment and has a strong emphasis on character development.
Aichi International School
Aichi International School offers a unique bilingual program in English and Japanese. The school follows the International Primary Curriculum (IPC) in the elementary years and offers the International Baccalaureate (IB) program in the high school years. Aichi International School offers various extracurricular activities such as music, sports, and art.
Factors to Consider When Choosing an International School in Nagoya
When considering an international school in Nagoya for your child, there are several factors to consider.
- Curriculum: One of the most important factors to consider is the curriculum. Different international schools may follow different educational systems, such as the British, American, or International Baccalaureate (IB) programs. It’s essential to choose a school that offers a curriculum that aligns with your child’s needs and goals.
- Language: If your child is not a native English speaker, it’s crucial to choose a school that offers support for language learning. Some international schools offer bilingual programs in English and Japanese, while others offer language support programs for non-native English speakers.
- Location: The location of the school is also an important consideration. Ideally, you want to choose a school that is located in a safe and accessible area, with easy access to public transportation.
- Facilities: The facilities of the school should also be considered. Look for a school that has modern and well-maintained classrooms, libraries, science labs, sports facilities, and other amenities.
- Extracurricular Activities: Extracurricular activities are an essential part of a student’s education. Look for a school that offers a range of extracurricular activities that align with your child’s interests and hobbies.
- School Culture: The school’s culture is also an important factor to consider. Look for a school that has a supportive and inclusive environment that fosters learning and personal growth.
- Cost: International schools can be expensive, so it’s important to consider the cost of tuition, fees, and other expenses. Make sure to factor in additional costs such as transportation, uniforms, and textbooks.
- Reputation: Lastly, it’s essential to consider the reputation of the school. Look for a school that has a track record of academic excellence and a strong reputation within the community.
How do international schools in Nagoya support language learning?
International schools in Nagoya are dedicated to supporting language learning among their students. They offer a range of language programs that cater to students with different language backgrounds and proficiency levels. Many international schools provide language support services for non-native English speakers, such as English as a Second Language (ESL) classes, which help students develop their reading, writing, speaking, and listening skills in English. In addition, international schools often offer foreign language programs, such as Japanese, Mandarin, or Spanish, which provide students with the opportunity to learn a new language and gain cultural competence.
What are the facilities like at international schools in Nagoya?
International schools in Nagoya typically offer modern and well-equipped facilities to support their educational programs and extracurricular activities. Classrooms are usually spacious and air-conditioned, with ergonomic furniture and the latest technology to facilitate learning. Sports facilities are also an essential aspect of international schools in Nagoya, with many schools offering well-maintained sports fields, swimming pools, and gymnasiums.
Libraries are typically well-stocked with a range of books, periodicals, and digital resources to support research and learning. Additionally some international schools in Nagoya have performing arts facilities, such as theaters, music rooms, and dance studios, to support students’ artistic and creative pursuits. Overall, international schools in Nagoya provide students with top-notch facilities to support their academic, athletic, and creative pursuits.
Variety of international schools in Nagoya that cater to the needs of expatriate families. These schools provide a diverse curriculum that prepares students for higher education and future careers, while also fostering personal growth and development. When considering an international school in Nagoya, it’s important to factor in curriculum, language, location, facilities, extracurricular activities, school culture, cost, and reputation. By taking the time to research and evaluate different schools, families can make an informed decision that provides their children with a quality education and a positive learning experience.