The system had weakened to a tropical storm as it moved over central Florida earlier in the day.
The storm made its first landfall on Florida’s west coast on Wednesday as a powerful Category 4 hurricane.
Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis has declared a state of emergency.
- Ian is once again a Category 1 hurricane
- At least 9 dead in hurricane
- Hundreds rescued from flooding across Florida
- Biden says Ian may be deadliest storm in Florida history
- Hurricane warning issued for entire coast of South Carolina
- ‘We’ve never seen a flood event like this,’ Florida governor says
DeSantis: More than 700 rescues since Ian’s landfall
The Sanibel Causeway, which suffered significant damage in the storm, will most likely need to be rebuilt entirely, he said.
There were more than 2.3 million customers without power in the state just before 9 p.m. ET Thursday.