Issues while accessing the company file are the most reported ones by regular users. These issues can arise in the form of different error messages, like the H series errors. One such error is the QuickBooks error H505, which occurs while opening their company files, and can prevent users from working on their data. There can be many reasons why the error arises, like an incorrect hosting configuration. If you are getting QuickBooks error code H505, you can follow the steps given below to resolve it.
If you are having trouble understanding the steps or resolving the error code on your own, you can reach out to us at 1-855-856-0042 and get assistance from our technical team.
Possible Triggers for QuickBooks Desktop Error H505
QuickBooks error message H505 can arise due to the following common reasons –
- The hosting setup in QuickBooks is incorrect, and you need to modify it on your server PC and workstations.
- Windows firewall is causing an obstruction, which is preventing QuickBooks from accessing the data file.
- Your QuickBooks Desktop application has become obsolete, and you need to update it to the latest release.
- Essential files, like network data and transaction log files, are either damaged or corrupted.
- You are trying to access the company file on your workstation in a single-user mode.
Recommended to read: How to fix QuickBooks Multi User Mode not Working
How to Address QuickBooks Company File Error H505?
QuickBooks multi-user error H505 can be reliably rectified by following the steps provided below –
Step 1 – Create a New QB Company File Folder and Set Full Control Permissions
You can fix QB error code H505 by modifying the file access permissions in the following manner –
- Navigate to the company file folder on the server PC hosting your company file and create a new folder on your desktop.
- Paste the company file into the newly created folder and right-click the folder to select Properties.
- Under the Sharetab, select Advanced Sharing and checkmark the Share This Folder
- Click thePermissions option, select the Full Control checkbox for Everyone Group, and click Apply & OK.
- Click Applyand OK once again, and try to open the company file to check the status of the H505 error.
Step 2 – Edit the Hosting Settings on your Server and Workstations from the File Tab
You need to edit the hosting setup to set it correctly on your workstation and server PC.
- On your Workstation, open QuickBooksto go to the File tab and access the Utilities drop-down menu.
- Click Stop Hosting Multi-User Configurationunder the Utility option, and open QuickBooks on your server that has the company file.
- Select Host Multi-User Configurationunder the Utilities tab and restart both the server and the workstation to open the company file again.
QuickBooks error H505 can be reliably resolved by using the steps given in this article. If the issue persists, you can call us at 1-855-856-0042 and get immediate assistance from our QB ProAdvisor professionals.