Couples decide to have fertility or IVF treatment in Delhi or their locality when they notice issues in their parenthood journey/family expansion plan. If you are among them and have decided to go through IVF, you should know about it to make your treatment successful for you. In the following paragraphs/subheadings, you will read essential points about IVF.
IVF – What it is
IVF is the acronym for in vitro fertilisation and refers to an assisted reproductive technology
(ART) treatment, which facilitates infertile couples to have a baby. It is a lengthy and irritating fertility treatment process. However, its effectiveness has made it a more popular fertility treatment. In the IVF treatment process, egg fertilisation and embryo development take place outside of the human body. For a complete cycle, its treatment lasts for around 3 weeks. In some cases, it can become longer.
IVF Treatment procedure
Your fertility treatment starts as you consult a respective doctor at a fertility clinic or hospital in your locality. A complete cycle of IVF treatment includes ovary stimulation, egg retrieval, sperm extraction, fertilisation, embryo transfer, and a pregnancy test. Here have a look at all these:
- Ovary stimulation – Ovulation induction or ovary stimulation is the first step of IVF treatment. In this step, a respective doctor asks the female partner to have hormone injections to produce multiple eggs at a time. Usually, a female produces only one egg in a menstrual cycle. In IVF, there is a need for multiple eggs as not all eggs develop/fertilise after fertilisation. The hormones the female patient (you) receive are LH (luteinizing hormone), FSH (follicle-stimulating hormone), and HCG (human chorionic gonadotropin. After the administration of hormone injections, you are under the supervision of your doctors. The doctor, if required, asks you to take other medicines, recommends blood tests, and does a vaginal ultrasound to know how and when to move forward in the treatment process.
- Egg retrieval – Around after two weeks of fertility drug administration, you have ovulation time. With the use of the transvaginal ultrasound, the doctor retrieves eggs from your ovaries. For this process, the doctor sedates you and inserts an ultrasound probe into your vagina for the determination of follicles/eggs. After that, the doctor inserts a thin needle, a catheter, for reaching follicles and retrieving eggs. With the needle in the suction device, the doctor retrieves multiple eggs within 20 minutes.
- Sperm extraction – For the birth of a baby through IVF, there is a need for sperm. Your male partner needs to produce semen in a tube or container produced by the lab technician/representation. For sperm collection, your male partner can take his semen from home or masturbate in a private room at the clinic to collect semen in the given container.
Suggest to Read:- Track Ovulation With Irregular Periods
- Fertilisation – In general, fertility specialists use two methods for egg fertilisation – conventional insemination and ICSI (Intracytoplasmic sperm injection). In the first method, there is a meeting of healthy eggs and sperm at the lab. And there is incubation overnight. The second method is for the one with poor sperm count. In this process, the doctor inserts sperm into the egg cell directly with the help of a thin needle.
- Embryo transfer – After a few days of egg retrieval, embryo transfer takes place. In the process, the doctor sedates you and inserts a catheter into the uterus through the vagina. The catheter, a fine needle, has a syringe that contains embryo suspension. After inserting the needle, the doctor places embryo fluid into your uterus. During the process, you can have mild cramping and pain.
- Pregnancy test – After the embryo transfer, you can come home and start your daily activities by following your doctor’s instructions. Your doctor will ask you to have a pregnancy test at home after two weeks of embryo transfer. You might need to have another test at home or a lab test to confirm implantation if the first test result is positive.
IVF is an effective ART solution for childless couples. Its process involves ovary stimulation, egg retrieval, sperm extraction, egg fertilisation, embryo transfer, and a pregnancy test. By following a respective doctor’s instruction, the treatment is fruitful in the very first attempt in most cases.