What are the requirements for the Swiss Student Visa and Permit?


Suppose non-European citizens plan to study in Switzerland, they would need guidance on the visa requirements for a legitimate stay. In this article, you will find the necessary guidance related to Swiss Visa Permits, which will help you to enhance your understanding.  

Types of student visas in Switzerland

There are two types of Switzerland student visas: The Schengen “C” visa and the national “D” visa. The Schengen “C” visa allows you to remain in Switzerland for about 90 days, perfect for summer schools, short courses, seminars, or language schools. While the National “D” visa – a long-term study visa issued for anything that lasts longer than three months, such as PhD studies or degree courses. 


You will be required to get accepted into an identified study course in Switzerland. In addition to this, you will also need to get health insurance coverage and demonstrate that you are capable of financially supporting yourself during your stay in Switzerland. We recommend performing a health insurance price comparison to buy health insurance in Switzerland. PrimApp is one of the best online Health insurance comparison tools. PrimApp is available in English, French, and Italian for the ease of its users. 

How to apply for a Schengen C student visa?

You should register for a visa through the Swiss embassy or consulate in your home country. You’ll need to complete an application form and submit supporting documentation in French, German or English.

You have to provide a valid passport/travel ID, proof of adequate financial resources, Healthcare insurance, Confirmed booked courses, a birth certificate, authorisation to travel if you are under 18, and your visa application. The visa takes about 10-15 days to process.

Schengen C Visa length

The C visa is valid for 90 days within 180 days. As it’s a Schengen visa, it generally allows the holder to travel around the Schengen Area till your visa remains valid. However, you cannot come to Switzerland on a C visa and revise it to a long-stay visa after your arrival. Even if you belong to an EU country excused from requiring an entry visa, you will still have to apply for a residence permit before your arrival if you plan to stay for more than 90 days. If your circumstances change once you have arrived in Switzerland, you should reach your cantonal immigration office.

National D student visas in Switzerland

This Swiss study visa qualifies you to come and study any course that lasts for more than three months.

Requirements for National D student visa

You require an offer to study at a recognised educational institution or University. You can find links to Swiss universities via CRUS. In addition to this, you will be required to show that you hold the necessary qualifications and sufficient means to support yourself financially, attributes to undertake the course you are applying for, and health insurance coverage for your stay.

 For some courses, you may also have to sit a language test to make sure that you can follow lessons.

How to apply for a National D student visa?

You must apply for your Switzerland student visa at the Swiss Embassy or consulate in your home country once you get admitted into a study course. The D visa processing times are usually 8-10 weeks, so it’s advisable to give yourself at least 3-6 months to apply.

In addition to presenting the visa application form, you will need to provide a valid passport/travel ID, proof of adequate financial resources, proof of healthcare insurance, personal study plan. Also, the Confirmation of Enrolment, your CV, copies of previous academic certificates and a signed letter verifying that you will leave Switzerland at the end of the course are required.

Switzerland Student Visa costs 

Your Swiss student visa is going to cost you CHF 88. If you require the visa fast-tracked or outside of regular working hours, you may have to pay extra. 

Visa length for a National D student visa

Swiss student visas are initially suitable for one year. However, they can get prolonged depending on the span of your course. You can register for a visa extension at your cantonal immigration office. Typically, you’ll have to prove that you are still enrolled in the class and haven’t dropped out.


We hope this article helped you resolve all your queries regarding Swiss student visas and permits and let you proceed smoothly with your process.