If you are planning to pursue a career in agriculture, then the Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR) is the premier institution to get started. The ICAR conducts a national-level entrance examination, which is the All India Entrance Examination for Admission (AIEEA).
This examination is conducted every year to offer admissions to undergraduate, postgraduate, and doctoral courses in agricultural education and research in various universities and colleges across India.
In this blog, we will discuss the steps to appear in ICAR and secure admission to your preferred ICAR ecourse.
What exactly is ICAR?
ICAR is an autonomous organization under the Department of Agricultural Research and Education, Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare, Government of India. The organization is responsible for coordinating, guiding, and managing research and education in agriculture, including horticulture, fisheries, animal sciences, agricultural engineering, and home science.
The AIEEA is the common entrance examination conducted by the ICAR to offer admissions to various courses in agriculture, including Bachelor’s, Master’s, and Doctoral degree programs. The examination is conducted in online mode and is usually held in June every year.
Eligibility Criteria for ICAR:
Before applying for the ICAR examination, candidates must check the eligibility criteria to ensure they are eligible for the examination. Here are the eligibility criteria for ICAR:
- Age Limit: The age limit for undergraduate courses is between 17-23 years, while for postgraduate courses, the age limit is 19-25 years. There is no age limit for Ph.D. courses.
- Educational Qualification: The educational qualification required for undergraduate courses is a pass in the 10+2 examination with Physics, Chemistry, and Biology/Agriculture/Home Science/Mathematics subjects. For postgraduate courses, candidates must have a bachelor’s degree in the relevant field of agriculture.
- Nationality: Only Indian nationals are eligible to apply for the ICAR examination.
- Minimum Marks: Candidates must have a minimum of 50% marks in their qualifying examination.
How to Apply for ICAR?
The application process for ICAR is completely online. Candidates must visit the official website of ICAR and fill in the online application form. Here are the steps to apply for the ICAR examination:
Step 1: Check the Eligibility Criteria
The first step to applying for ICAR is to check the eligibility criteria. Candidates must ensure that they fulfill all the eligibility criteria mentioned by ICAR before filling out the application form. The eligibility criteria for ICAR include age limit, educational qualification, and nationality.
Step 2: Registration
Candidates can register for ICAR by visiting the official website of the Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR) at https://icar.nta.nic.in. Click on the “New Registration” button to create a new account. Candidates must fill in the required details, such as name, date of birth, mobile number, email address, and security pin. Once the registration is complete, candidates will receive a system-generated application number and password on their registered mobile number and email.
Step 3: Fill out the Application Form
After registration, candidates can log in to their accounts using their application number and password. Candidates must fill in the necessary details in the application form, such as personal details, educational qualifications, and communication address. Candidates must ensure that they provide accurate and valid information in the application form.
Step 4: Upload Documents
After filling in the necessary details, candidates must upload scanned copies of their photograph, signature, and relevant documents such as educational certificates, category certificate (if applicable), and PwD certificates (if applicable). The photograph should be in JPEG format with a maximum size of 200 KB, and the signature should be in JPEG format with a maximum size of 50 KB.
Step 5: Pay the Application Fee
After uploading the documents, candidates must pay the application fee. The application fee for ICAR is Rs. 1000 for General/OBC/EWS candidates and Rs. 500 for SC/ST/PwD/transgender candidates. You can pay the application cost online using a credit card, debit card, or net banking.
Step 6: Submit the Application Form
After completing all the above steps, candidates must review the application form and make sure that all the information provided is correct. Candidates can complete the application once they are satisfied. After submission, candidates will receive a confirmation page with their application number, which they should save for future reference.
Overall, applying for ICAR is a simple process that requires candidates to check the eligibility criteria, register on the official website, fill in the application form, upload necessary documents, pay the application fee, and submit the application form. Candidates must ensure that they provide accurate and valid information in the application form to avoid rejection.
ICAR Exam Pattern:
The ICAR examination is conducted in online mode and consists of 150 multiple-choice questions. The ICAR syllabus is divided into three sections – Physics, Chemistry, and Biology/Agriculture/Mathematics. Each section consists of 50 questions, and the total duration of the examination is 2.5 hours. The examination is conducted in both English and Hindi languages.
For every correct answer, candidates are awarded four marks, and for every incorrect answer, one mark is deducted. No marks are deducted for unanswered questions. The examination is conducted in various cities across India, and candidates can choose their preferred examination center while filling out the application form.
Preparation Tips for ICAR-
Preparing for the ICAR examination requires dedication and hard work. Here are some tips that can help you prepare effectively for the examination:
- Know the syllabus: Before starting the preparation, candidates must thoroughly go through the syllabus and understand the topics that are covered in the examination. The syllabus is available on the official website of ICAR, and candidates can download it for reference.
- Create a study plan: It is essential to create a study plan and allocate sufficient time for each subject. A study plan can help you stay organized and cover all the topics before the examination.
- Solve previous year’s question papers: Solving previous year’s question papers can give you an idea about the examination pattern and the type of questions asked in the examination. It can also help you identify your weak areas and work on them.
- Take mock tests: Taking mock tests can help you evaluate your preparation level and identify the areas where you need improvement. It can also help you improve your time management skills.
- Stay motivated: Preparing for the ICAR examination can be challenging, and it is essential to stay motivated throughout the preparation. Candidates can take breaks, engage in physical activity, and pursue their hobbies to stay motivated.
In conclusion, the ICAR examination is a crucial step for students aspiring to pursue agriculture careers. By following the steps mentioned in this blog, candidates can easily apply for the ICAR examination and increase their chances of success. However, merely applying for the examination is not enough. Candidates must also prepare effectively by understanding the ICAR syllabus, creating a study plan, solving previous year question papers, taking mock tests, and staying motivated.
For aspirant scientists, Sciastra can be an excellent platform to get the best guide and materials from professionals. Sciastra provides comprehensive study materials, expert guidance, and personalized coaching to help students prepare effectively for the ICAR examination. With Sciastra, aspirants can stay up-to-date with the latest trends and patterns in the examination and receive customized support to enhance their chances of success.
Therefore, if you are an aspirant scientist looking to appear for the ICAR examination, Sciastra can be an excellent choice to help you achieve your goals. So, gear up, follow the steps mentioned in this blog, and enroll in Sciastra to give your best shot at cracking the ICAR examination and pursuing your dream career in agriculture.